14 Jun 2015

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices: Manga, Volume 3) by Cassandra Clare and Hyekyung Baek

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices: Manga, Volume 3) by Cassandra Clare and Hyekyung Baek

Goodreads Synopsis
The threat of Mortmain''s Infernal Devices looms as the Shadowhunters race to work out a way to counteract the mechanical monsters. Meanwhile, plans for Tessa''s marriage to Jem are underway, despite her fiancé''s failing health and the unresolved feelings between her and Will. When Tessa is captured, Will must leave his comrade behind to save the woman they both love... But with the final missing piece-Tessa herself-in Mortmain''s possession, can anything stop his plot for revenge?

I thought the other manga versions of this series were rushed but man oh man was this one cramped. This was a huge novel (567 pages) and it was hard to condense it into this manga version of only 260 pages. But it was lacking. And I was not a fan of this novel to begin with so it was really difficult for me.


I only rated this book 3/5 stars and now I actually understand why. I thought maybe I would enjoy it more because I would be able to see it (and I did, but only by .5 so eh) but it was so rushed. And not well explained. Just like how I found the novel to be. Especially the ending! The manga version of the ending was so so quick! I wanted to be gratified by Tessa's transformation into the angel and instead I was disappointed. And then to just skim over the epilogue??? No thanks. I am here for Jem Carstairs and I am not satisfied with the lack of Jem Carstairs in this.


It felt like there was something lacking because the dialogue was short and stinted and there wasn't as much description as there is in the novel. I think the art was trying to convey some of what the characters were feeling but it just didn't convert for me. I wasn't a fan of this novel mostly because I felt like it was too neatly tied up and fixed with the whole love triangle thing and the automation thing. Like I feel like that could have been more of an issue and it was so easily solved.


This had a lot of info-dumps as well because there wasn't the prose to make sure the reader understood the story. It felt weighed down in some spots and then seriously lacking in description in others. It was just overall sort of disappointing. But Jem. So I got over it ish.


Overall: 3.5/5 stars. I really do love this series. I would suggest reading the actual books though. You get a lot more out of them than these manga. But a good refresher for those who have already read the novels or for those who want a taste of the Shadowhunters world that Cassie has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!