17 Aug 2015

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1) by Moira Young

 
Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1) by Moira Young


Goodreads Synopsis
Saba lives in Silverlake, a wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms where her family scavenge from landfills left by the long-gone Wrecker civilization. After four cloaked horsemen kidnap her beloved twin brother Lugh, she teams up with daredevil Jack and the Free Hawks, a girl gang of Revolutionaries.

Saba learns that she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Saba and her new friends stage a showdown that change the course of her civilization.


I talked about how Arena One reminded me so much of the Dust Land Trilogy so I thought I should review it for you guys so you can have more of an understanding of why I loved this series!

This one was just SO GOOD. Saba was the heroine I needed and she was so well written that I loved everything about her. I loved seeing her transition from the beginning to the end because she was so well developed that I could see how she was changing as it was happening. You could see the tipping point and exactly when she decided to become the person she needed to be to survive. I also really liked that she didn't really want to take care of her sister in the beginning because I find that a lot of YA dystopian novels set it up so the main character wants to protect their sibling and would do anything to do so. Saba is different in that sense and I loved every second of it. She was so much more concerned about Lugh than Emmi and I loved that.

The world building was pretty great as well. I thought that the travel between places was paced correctly so that you wouldn't get bogged down with the travelling but you also got to see the vast expansion of the area that Saba and Emmi are living in. And the travelling was used to expand the characters and their personalities/thoughts.

I loved the romance in this because Saba didn't really give up her feminine side but used it to her advantage in a lot of instances. It was nice to see that she didn't shy away from the fact that she was a female but wholeheartedly embraced it. And I did really like Jack. I think they are a pretty perfect couple tbh.

Overall: 4/5 stars. Once I got used to the way the book was written, it was really enjoyable. I was recommended this book while I was at a bookstore and loved it. It was definitely one I couldn't put down while I was reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!