18 Aug 2015

Rebel Heart (Dust Lands #2) by Moira Young

Rebel Heart (Dust Lands #2) by Moira Young

Goodreads Synopsis
Saba thought her world would return to normal after they defeated the Tonton and rescued her kidnapped brother Lugh. The family head west for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But a formidable enemy is on the rise. What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants?



I did enjoy this one but I do think it suffered a bit from Second Book Syndrome. I loved the idea that Saba was having these guilt induced hallucinations until they were just magically taken away. And she had no consequences of any sort to speak of from leaving early when she was warned not to??

And the whole plot of this one centres around the fact that Saba is so lustworthy. I am okay with the fact that she falls for De Malo and that there is a love triangle (square?). However, it makes no sense to me that she goes from this bad ass fighter who literally kills everyone to this love sick puppy who can't decide between guys. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but it is in this story.

I thought the plot moved along fairly well and was well paced. But it was just boring to me because it didn't feel like anything happened until the very end. I didn't care about the characters at certain points in time and that is always a bad scene for me.

Overall: 3/5 stars. I always find sequels a tricky thing, especially when I enjoy a book as much as I liked Blood Red Road. However, while Rebel Heart is very good, it doesn't live up to the bar I put in my mind after reading Blood Red Road. It is still an exhilarating sequel and story and Saba is one of my all-time favourite characters -- this book does not disappoint and continues the story in an exciting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!